The eyes are the primary focus of a person’s face. At a young age, we were taught to make eye contact when talking to someone. This makes the eyes an area of the face that people immediately notice.The eyes can be a beautiful feature, however under eye bags and puffiness can make you look older or tired, and this will cause you to feel more self conscious about people looking at your eyes. Under eye bags are associated with aging and lack of sleep, but genetics also play a huge role in under eye bags.
The eyes are a very sensitive area of the body. And the skin under the eyes is very thin and fragile. It is important to take care of the area around your eyes or it will show overtime. Dark circles, bags, and wrinkles all come with aging but can be dramatically reduced if the area is taken care of over time.
What Causes Puffiness Under the Eyes?
Genetics can be the cause of dark circles and bags under the eyes, meaning you could see this in children as well. Just as people can’t change facial bone structure nor is it possible to control how deep the blood vessels are which create under eye bags. A combination of fat shrinkage, fat displacement, the deterioration of connective tissue, and the slowing of collagen production contribute to the formation of eye bags.
How to Reduce Under Eye Bags
Many people wonder what helps with under eye bags. While it is impossible to reverse the signs of aging there are things you can do to help reduce puffiness under the eye, such as:
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep every night
- Drink enough water and stay hydrated throughout the day
- Metal roller ball – this can be used with or without skin product
- Freeze tea bags or wet spoons and let them sit over your eyes
- Neti Pot – if under eye bags are related to allergies this can help
- Stay away from salt – too much salt and sodium can lead to puffiness under the eyes
- Stop smoking – smoking constricts your blood vessels & contributes to less than healthy tissues
- Watch out for the sun – overexposure to sun can be bad. Make sure you always wear sunscreen, have on sunglasses, and even a hat.
- Using an eye cream or an eye mask can help reduce bags and wrinkles over time
Make up can be used to mask the look of dark circles and bags under the eye in the meantime, here are some tips on using make up under the eye:
- Apply concealer to the tear trough groove and gently blend into your foundation base along with the use of loose, translucent powder on top.
- Lining the lower eyelid can make puffiness less noticeable and draw attention to the eyes and not the bags. Use a brown or taupe color for a more natural look.
How to Get Rid of Eye Bags When Natural Remedies Won’t Work?
When natural remedies won’t work due to your genetics or you just want a more significant fix for your eye bags, see a professional dermatologist, like Dr. Umar. Minimally invasive injections and non-surgical procedures under the eyes can help reduce under eye bags. Dermal fillers can be used to fill in the hollowness and bags under the eye, creating a more natural and smooth look. These procedures usually take less than 30 minutes and results are almost immediate.
While under eye bags may make you self conscious, there is always a way to help reduce the appearance of them. Whether a natural remedy or seeing a dermatologist, there are methods to help make you feel younger and beautiful.