Author Bio: Dr. Sanusi Umar MD is the author of this article.
Forehead Reduction Using Hair Transplant by Dr UGraft FUE in Los Angeles: The forehead is the area between the hairline (above), the brow ridges (Below) and temple ridges on either sides. It thus stands to reason that lowering the hairline would reduce the appearance of a large forehead. Hairline lowering surgery, also known as forehead reduction surgery is a surgical technique that lowers the frontal hairline, reducing a prominent forehead and balancing a person’s facial features. A high hairline can affect a person’s self-esteem, causing them to feel conscious and limit themselves to certain hairstyles and life situations. A high hairline is very common and affects both men and women. Many people believe they are limited with their choices of getting rid of their high hairline by simply hiding it (e.g. by wearing hair bangs) when in reality a high hairline can be lowered and improved with Dr. Umar’s advanced hair transplant system.
Dr.UGraft FUE is a revolutionary system which has advanced the traditional Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) technology. The traditional follicular unit extraction FUE is a surgical harvesting method used in hair transplantation that extracts individual hair follicles one at a time. This method only uses hair from the back and the sides of the head and can only use hair that is straight or slightly wavy. With Dr. Umar’s advanced Dr UGraft FUE system, hair can be extracted from the head as well as the nape, preauricular areas of the scalp, neck and all body areas. With this advanced system, Dr.UGraft can extract tightly curled hair where the basic FUE cannot. Using Dr. Umar’s Dr.UGraft system, all people of every ethnicity and situation can have a chance at restoring their hairline to their desired look. The ability of Dr. U to use finer nape hairs for the creation of refined and soft forehead to hairline transitions makes for the most natural forehead size reduction effect in women and people of Asian descent in whom such a fit is typically problematic using other hair transplantation approaches.
Why Foreheads Appear Large
Foreheads may appear large due to high hairlines/large foreheads in men and women. Although some hairlines may be natural with no sign of hair loss, some individuals may experience the look of a large forehead over time due to gradual hair loss (due to age). Men generally start to see a “receding hairline” over the years and may see their forehead become larger over time. Women usually do not see a receding hairline from age but may want to reduce a naturally large forehead to a smaller/rounder forehead with a hair transplant by Dr.UGraft FUE. Some women suffer from traction alopecia, a gradual loss of hair as a result of constant or frequent abrasive pulling on the hair. Over time, hairstyles that require the hair to be pulled with such force will cause noticeable thinning along the periphery of the scalp. This includes the anterior and posterior hairlines, as well as behind the ears.
Forehead Size Reduction Treatment Options
There are two surgical ways to improve the look of a high forehead.
- Hairline Lowering: This first option (and somewhat outdated) is performed under either local or general anesthesia and requires about two to three hours. During the procedure, the surgeon removes a portion of the forehead skin and moves the scalp forward. “This procedure, along with having huge limits for candidates, also commonly leaves noticeable scars. Because of the high risk and poor results, hairline lowering is no longer deemed the best option for those wanting a smaller forehead.”
- Hair transplant using FUE: This second option is grafting hair to the forehead, thus making the hairline look smaller. Unlike the basic FUE, Dr. Umar’s Dr UGraft FUE system can be used to extract the finest of hairs from the nape of the neck, legs and arms to deliver a natural looking hairline with no visibility of having any surgical treatment. Dr.UGraft FUE system consists of patented components and innovative procedures that have revolutionized the way forehead reduction is treated. With this microscopic surgery, Dr.UGraft FUE system cuts around individual hair follicles with precision. Individual hair follicles are taken one-by-one from an area where hair existentially grows and are then harvested by using 0.8-1.2mm punches. Since the surgery does not involve strip removal, this advanced procedure “typically heals quickly with cosmetically insignificant scarring.” When compared to the strip method, patients notice a dramatic difference with natural, healthy looking scalp results.
Forehead Reduction Surgery also Called Hairline Lowering VS Hairline Hair Transplantation For Forehead Size Reduction.
As described above, Forehead reduction surgery would lead to the creation of a visible linear scar in the hairline margins. The scar can widen and become problematic cosmetically. Compared to a hairline transplant, hairline lowering surgeries are:
- More invasive
- Significant downtime and recovery period (a hairline transplant by Dr.UGraft FUE may half the downtime)
- Potentially more expensive
- Would create a linear scar that can become problematic cosmetically. Often a hairline hair transplant is necessary to hide the scar of hairline lowering surgery. Thus the patient ends up having two surgeries.
- Because the two nerves that supply the front of the scalp are typically cut in the process of a forehead reduction surgery, numbness or worse (pain) in the frontal scalp which can be lifelong is not unusual. This potential problem can be devastating to the patient. This would not typically occur with an advanced FUE hairline transplantation such as with Dr.UGraft methods.
Hair transplantation benefits over forehead reduction surgery with cost, advanced surgery options, ease of accomplishing superb results and minimal downtime in healing.
Who is a good candidate for forehead reduction using hair transplantation by Dr.UGraft
Candidates in overall good health and who are medically able to undergo surgery are ideal for a forehead reduction using a hair transplant by Dr.UGraft FUE. Good candidates include men or women wishing to lower or add fullness to the hairline. Patients with extreme balding, previous botched cases by other surgeons, any ethnicity and difficult cases where scalp tissue around the follicles is extremely dense are also potential candidates. With Dr. Umar’s Dr.UGraft method, hairline lowering using hair transplantation is a procedure that can give hope and confidence to individuals with hair loss and/or individuals desiring to improve their looks.
Hair Reduction using Dr.UGraft FUE Method Healing
Patients should expect little pain during and after Dr.UGraft procedure. During the procedure, Dr.UGraft creates very small incisions during both the extraction and transplantation, “these small punctures” lead to a quick healing process. Most patients return to regular activities the next day, without over-the-counter painkillers while healing. The two main factors that account for optimal healing are the size and shape of the wounds. Though scarring is always a possibility during any FUE procedure, Dr.UGraft’s use of body donor areas and advanced technology leads to quick healing with minimal scarring typically. Patients can even schedule procedures on several back to back week days, depending on the size of the surgery.
Forehead reduction using hair transplant by Dr.UGraft FUE: Case Report
Forehead Reduction Using Hair Transplant By Dr.UGraft FUE FAQ
What is the cost of forehead reduction using hair transplant Dr.UGraft FUE?
FUE hair transplants vary from person to person. Depending on the severity of a patient’s baldness, more or less are needed. Patients should have a free consultation with Dr. Sanusi Umar to discuss the best options for their situation and develop a thorough treatment plan. If cost is a factor, financial options are available for patients.
Where is hair taken from for a FUE hairline transplant?
Basic FUE transplants will use hair on the side or back of the patient’s head. Dr. Umar’s Dr.UGraft FUE system can use hair from several parts of the body. In most cases hair that is found at the nape of the neck or anywhere where fine hair grows is used for a more natural hairline.
We’ve performed forehead reductions on many different types of patients over the years – there is little we can’t accomplish at the Dr. U Hair Clinic in Redondo Beach. To send your questions about the practice to Dr. U personally, check out our Ask Dr. U page via the button below: